- "It was common knowledge that he'd [Stefan] had some sort of run-in with the admissions secretary yesterday. And today he'd been called to the principal's office. Something about his papers. But the principal had sent him back to class (after, it was rumored, a long-distance call to Rome—or was it Washington?), and everything seemed to be settled now."
In September, 2013, Mr Newcastle called Stefan Salvatore to his office regarding his admissions papers. It was rumored by the students that their meeting had involved a long-distance call to Rome or Washington before Stefan was dismissed. In reality, Stefan presumably used Influence on him to allow him to remain at the school.
After Mr Tanner was killed and found drained of blood by the medical examiner in October, Mr Newcastle told Dr Feinberg about Alaric Saltzman, being familiar with his work. The two called Alaric, with Mr Newcastle offering him a job at the school in order to find and kill the vampires responsible. However, Mr Newcastle was unaware that Alaric had never met a vampire before.
Mr Newcastle gave an assembly announcing that the school board had selected Elena Gilbert as the Spirit of Fell's Church in November. He attended the Founders' Day ceremony on the thirtieth, exchanging tight-lipped frowns with Mayor Dawley during Caroline Forbes's speech.
- Alaric Saltzman: "Would you rather have Robert E. Lee in all the papers, not just as the scene of a tragedy but also as 'The Haunted High School of Boone County'? A gathering place for ghouls? The school where the undead walk? Is that the kind of publicity you want?"
- Brian Newcastle: "All right, Alaric. But make it quick and clean."
- — Mr Newcastle and Alaric[src]
After Elena Gilbert was missing and presumed dead, Mr Newcastle, Dr Feinberg and Alaric Saltzman believed that she had become a vampire, and Alaric was tasked with finding her. Not being particularly knowledgeable on vampires, Alaric gave them false information about a lair possible existing in the woods, and that they should keep an eye on Meredith Sulez and Bonnie McCullough as they were likely to be the first to see her. Mr Newcastle expressed some amount of doubt in Alaric, but hesitated when Alaric asked if he would rather have the school labelled as the "Haunted High School of Boone County".
Alaric asked Mr Newcastle to cancel the Snow Dance, but he was determined to keep things running normally, and did not want to cause panic by cancelling the dance. He instead arranged for members of the Sheriff's Department to act as security.
After Elena's deathEdit
- "The principal had given a speech over the P.A. about "this new misfortune" and "this terrible loss," and Bonnie had felt the eyes on her back as if they were boring holes there."
- "The second man had a bald head that was now shining with sweat—Mr Newcastle, Elena realized."
Personality and traitsEdit
Mr Newcastle believed in the existence of vampires, and was familiar with Alaric Saltzman's work, showing an interest in the supernatural. The reputation of Robert E. Lee High School was of the utmost importance to him, leading him to make every effort to keep things running normally during the "trying times". He could be impatient, as shown after Alaric's lack of success. Despite his wanting Elena dead, he was not without compassion, asking Alaric to make the death "quick and clean".
Behind the scenesEdit
- In the eighteenth chapter of The Return: Nightfall, Meredith mistakenly refers to the principal as being female.
- The Awakening (Mentioned only)
- The Struggle (First appearance)
- The Fury (First identified as Brian Newcastle)
- Dark Reunion (Mentioned only)
- The Return: Nightfall (Mentioned only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Alaric: I can take care of it, Brian. (The Fury - Chapter 4)
- ↑ "It was Mr Newcastle, the high school principal." (The Fury - Chapter 4)
- ↑ "It was common knowledge that he'd had some sort of run-in with the admissions secretary yesterday. And today he'd been called to the principal's office. Something about his papers. But the principal had sent him back to class (after, it was rumored, a long-distance call to Rome—or was it Washington?), and everything seemed to be settled now." (The Awakening - Chapter 3)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Alaric Saltzman: Your principal, Brian Newcastle, had heard of me. He knew about the studies I do. When Tanner was killed and Dr Feinberg found no blood in the body and lacerations made by teeth in the neck… well, they gave me a call. I thought it could be a big break for me—a case with the vampire still in the area. The only problem was that once I got here I realized they expected me to take care of the vampire. They didn't know I'd dealt only with the victims before. And… well, maybe I was in over my head. But I did my best to justify their confidence— / Elena Gilbert: You faked it. That was what you were doing when I heard you talking to them at your house about finding our supposed lair and all that. You were just winging it. (The Fury - Chapter 11)
- ↑ "There was an assembly that morning, at which it was announced that the school board had chosen Elena as the student to represent "The Spirit of Fell's Church." All through the principal's speech about it, Caroline's smile had blazed forth, triumphant and malicious." (The Struggle - Chapter 11)
- ↑ "The audience was murmuring, getting impatient. Mayor Dawley and the high school principal were exchanging tight-lipped frowns." (The Struggle - Chapter 14)
- ↑ The Fury - Chapter 4
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "Bonnie swayed suddenly, and Reverend Bethea ran to her while another man hastened up from the other side. The second man had a bald head that was now shining with sweat—Mr Newcastle, Elena realized." (The Fury - Chapter 4)
- ↑ "Stefan says that Alaric met with the principal a couple times, but he couldn't get close enough to hear what they were talking about." (The Fury - Chapter 10)
- ↑ Alaric Saltzman: Well, I can try to convince them, but—I don't know. Your principal is dead set on keeping everything looking normal. (The Fury - Chapter 11)
- ↑ Elena Gilbert: He came back from school today to tell me that the dance is still on—Mr Newcastle didn't want to cause a panic by canceling it or something. What they're going to do is have "security" outside, which means the police, I guess. (The Fury - Chapter 12)
- ↑ "The principal had given a speech over the P.A. about "this new misfortune" and "this terrible loss," and Bonnie had felt the eyes on her back as if they were boring holes there." (Dark Reunion - Chapter 5)
- ↑ Brian Newcastle: All right, Alaric. But make it quick and clean. (The Fury - Chapter 4)