- "There are certain plants, though, that might help you. Like vervain. That's an herb that's supposed to protect you against bewitchment, and it can keep your mind clear even if someone is using Powers against you. People used to wear it around their necks. Bonnie would love it; it was sacred to the Druids."
- —Stefan Salvatore[src]
Vervain (Verbena officinalis) is a herb that can protect an individual from bewitchment such as a vampire's Influence, and was often worn around the neck. The oil can be extracted from the seeds and rubbed onto the skin or added to a bath, or the leaves can be dried and carried on one's person or under one's pillow, although carrying a sprig is no less effective.
After Damon Salvatore's presence in Fell's Church was made known to Stefan, he decided to collect some vervain for Elena Gilbert to protect her from his Influence. However, vervain's flowering season in Fell's Church had passed, and any plants would have been wiped out by the frost. As the Fell's Church Sheriff's Department had possession of his car, he asked Matt Honeycutt if he could borrow his car. Matt agreed to drive him. After searching through hedgerows and rough grass somewhere past Interstate 95, they managed to find some. Arriving at the Gilbert house, Stefan gave several sprigs to Elena, and, after returning to the Flowers boardinghouse, worked on extracting the vervain's oils. Elena sneaked one sprig into Bonnie McCullough's backpack, and later gave both her and Meredith Sulez sachets of dried leaves. Elena herself began sprinkling dried vervain in her baths.
While Stefan was in Italy, he collected some vervain blooming outside of Florence, which he took with him to Fell's Church. He gave several sprigs to Vickie Bennett, telling her to put some in every room of her house, and to hide some in her mother and father's clothes. He also gave some to Bonnie and Meredith.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Despite Stefan's efforts to extract the oils from the vervain seeds, the oil is never used; Elena sprinkles dried vervain in her baths, hides a sprig in Bonnie's backpack, and gives both her and Meredith sachets of dried leaves.
- The Struggle (First appearance)
- The Fury (Mentioned only)
- Dark Reunion (First identified as Verbena officinalis)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 'Tyler Smallwood: Vervain, Meredith. Verbena officinalis. I've got a friend who's into these things. (Dark Reunion - Chapter 9)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Stefan Salvatore: There are certain plants, though, that might help you. Like vervain. That's an herb that's supposed to protect you against bewitchment, and it can keep your mind clear even if someone is using Powers against you. People used to wear it around their necks. Bonnie would love it; it was sacred to the Druids. (Dark Reunion - Chapter 7)
- ↑ Stefan Salvatore: Once I've extracted the oil from the seeds, you can rub it into your skin or add it to a bath. And you can make the dried leaves into a sachet and carry it with you or put it under your pillow at night. (The Struggle - Chapter 9)
- ↑ The Struggle - Chapter 8
- ↑ The Struggle - Chapter 9
- ↑ The Struggle - Chapter 10
- ↑ The Struggle - Chapter 11
- ↑ Dark Reunion - Chapter 6
- ↑ Dark Reunion - Chapter 7